Thursday, January 20, 2011

St. Louis, Missouri

We went to St. Louis, Missouri, so I could look at the rare books in the Missouri Botanical Library.

The Librarian was so nice to stop her work and show me the
botanicals.

These herbals date from the 15th century.

For over two hours I was in another world;
I was connected to herbalists,
and healers from the 1400's.


We are planning on growing figs this year.
I am inspired.


 I love seeing the relationships
of flora and fauna.


After saying our goodbyes
we went to the Butterfly House.
It is also part of the Botanical Gardens.


In the winter
I miss the butterflies.


Watching the Kites


 the Zebra Longwings


and all the tropical butterflies
reminded me that Spring will come


and the butterflies will return to my gardens.


They are the jewels


I love.


This Bird Wing butterfly from
Australia, had just emerged.
Watching her dry her wings was an honor.


We were in the butterfly house
for over two hours.
Just us and the butterflies.

The Atlas moth
is amazing.


We left at closing time.


I wish Kansas City


had a butterfly house.



I would go at least once a week.

Seeing the Giant Butterfly
was very fun.
They come to my gardens.

We have 8 inches of snow on the ground.
I am watching the birds at the feeders.
I am planning what I will plant for the
 butterflies come Spring.


6 comments:

sweetbay said...

Both the paintings and the butterflies are exquisite! So much beauty!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Seeing those paintings and drawings takes me back to where I am reading about. I am reading _The Brother Gardeners_ It has a few reproductions of such works of art. The butterflies do make me wish for spring while the snow piles higher.

Randy Emmitt said...

Sherry,

What a wonderful way to spend you day when you have 8 inches of snow on the ground. Really like the Malachite photo!

Juliet said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip - it sounds like a lovely day out. The butterfly photos are stunning - thanks for posting them.

Deb said...

Such a beautiful post Sherry!
Each butterflies wings were like little stained glass windows ♥
What a lovely day you had in St. Louis.

ShySongbird said...

I miss the butterflies in Winter too Sherry, just as I have missed being able to visit you recently...

What a wonderful time you had dipping into those beautiful old books and I really love the Nathaniel Hawthorne quote!