Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sunday Safari

The Rain Dragons have returned.
I went to bed last night to the sounds of their thunder.
I woke this morning to the sounds of the
 Rose Breasted Grosbeaks!
I am so happy they remembered my backyard.

It rained off and on all day.

I sat outside with the birds.

They were wet!

I put out extra treats.

White-Crowned Sparrows often stay for the summer.


The  male Goldfinches are in their summer dress.

 The House Wrens are nesting.


We have baby Robins and I am pretty sure
the Woodpeckers are feeding young.


She comes and gets a nut and  quickly flies off.

I have seen three Harris' Sparrows.
Maybe we will have young ones this year.

The Hummingbirds are back!
I have not seen the females yet.

Even in the rain the Orioles are bright.

I will enjoy every minute with them.
 Rain Dragons and migrators make May
 a very beautiful month.

Happy Sunday Safari.


11 comments:

Cassi said...

What delightful pictures of your bird visitors, all frumpy from the rain. We have our hummingbird feeders out (the columbine is blooming), but no visitors yet this spring.

sweetbay said...

Splendid bird shots! Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks and Orioles breed in the NC mountains but not in the Piedmont so we don't see them here, just the grosbeaks as transients. I envy you, they are such gorgeous birds!

David said...

What a beautiful collection of images. How do you manage such crystal clear photography?
Just gorgeous...better than any bird field guides I have on my shelf! Really!
I'd do the same, sit out in the rain with them. Happy Sunday Safari!
David/:0)

Aimee said...

Lovely birds. Thank you for the beautiful photos!

Cheryl said...

Dear Sherry,

I am speechless.....so many beautiful birds, it is like the rainforests in your gardens.
I dreamt of the Grosbeak Saturday night, seeing it on your post reminded me. How odd!!

I am so glad the Rain Dragons returned to your garden.
We have blue skies this morning.
I have heard the dragons are returning to my Garden on Wednesday....could you perhaps keep them with you a little longer :)

ShySongbird said...

What a wonderful array of beautiful birds you have visiting you Sherry and your photos are as lovely as always! I love the Rose Breasted Grosbeak and the Orioles are just amazing, I always love seeing them in your garden! The Hummingbirds too of course.

We have had around two weeks of unremitting rain after a prolonged period of drought and yesterday was particularly wild with driving rain and very high winds which brought down my lovely, very old white Lilac tree. Then last night to round off a troublesome day we had a power cut :-(

Thank you for bringing me some much needed colour and cheer Sherry!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

We have Rose breasted Grosbeaks in our garden too. Isn't it fun! We need your rain. I haven't seen a hummer in our garden yet. It won't be long. Beautiful photos.

Angie said...

My hearts just races looking at all of the winged beauties in your yard, SherryQ!! They are each such a small bundle of lusciousness :)

Judy said...

Brave of you to sit out in the rain! That grosbeak looks like he has a punk hairdo! And the robin is saying "Soldier Up!!" So funny!
We had rain all last week, and again this morning.

Rose said...

What a wonderful party of different birds you have, Sherry! Best of all, I'm so happy to see your first hummingbird. I had planned to weed in the garden this morning, but it's much too muddy, so now I know what I must do--put out my hummingbird feeders!

Anonymous said...

Awesome post, where is the rss? I cant find it!
HTTP://www.CoolMobilePhone.net