Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday Safari

Cahokia Mounds, City of the Sun.
700 AD -1300 AD




This mound is known as Monks Mound.
It rises 100 feet.
It is the largest prehistoric earthen construction
in the Americas.
It was the center of this ancient city.



This city sprawled over six square miles
and supported a population of 10-20,000.


In 1982 this site was named a world Heritage Site.


When I entered the interpretive center


I was taken back into time.
I was transported into an amazing culture.


The veil is thin at this site.
I could almost hear their voices.


As I looked at the artifacts I began to think.


As I read about these ancient people I connected.


I too plant and harvest.


I too craft and cook.


These pots are so beautiful.


I am inspired.


Corn chowder would taste delicious in a head pot!

Like the Cahokians I do not eat wheat.



The visitors center is world class.



After having our lunch out of our picnic basket we walked the Grand Plaza.




I too celebrate the spider.


We climbed Monks Mound.



I looked down and saw St. Louis, Missouri.


I looked across and saw more mounds.



I laid all my sadness down.
I vowed to take care of what is left of the Great Mounds.


The seasons are changing at Cahokia.


The rain water puddles as it has for thousands of years.

Painted Ladies,


Orange Sulphurs and Buckeyes still find late season

nectar on the native wildflowers.



The Crows still fly and teach for those who will learn.



It was time for me to travel back to my house.




Time for me to take my Birdman treasures home.

Like the people who came before me I went west.




I bought a journal while at Cahokia.




A place to write about the Indian Mounds.
A place to honor those that came before me.
A place to hope that those that come after will also honor and take care.


Happy Sunday Safari.



15 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I have never heard of this mound before Sherry. I am glad you brought it to our attention.

Here where I live there is a big mound and it was recently rededicated by some Indians.

I don't think they know much about this one.

I like your new journal too.

Aimee said...

Amazing post! Thank you! What a wonderful place to visit. I have visited many precolumbian sites in Mexico and I am struck by the similarity of the art. I am not sure, but I believe this culture was one of several far-flung outliers of the great classical prehispanic cultures of the americas centered in Mexico. What a cool post!

Cheryl said...

Dear Sherry.......what a wonderful day....so much to see, so much to take in.

The beads and pots are beautiful in their simplicity....

What an amazing thing to do, to walk the mound, each step significant.



How strange that we saw a painted lady on the same day while doing our safari. I believe there must be a message somewhere.....

Stay strong......

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What an interesting trip! I love treks like this, exploring and learning about other people. I would love to travel to that area!

Anonymous said...

Dear Sherry,
thank you for this great post and very interesting story.
Just finished reading an article about Cahokia from Wikipedia.
Very detailed article about the "Native American culture at Cahokia Mounds."
Can be compared with early cultures in Mexico, Belize and other countries of the americas.
Same question remains here as well, what happened to the Cahokia?? Disappeared like the Azteks and Mayas?
Gisela

sweetbay said...

Thank you for this very interesting post! I can't believe I hadn't heard of this city before now. I love the beaver and head pots. I wonder what happened to the city and who the inhabitants' descedants are.

Judy said...

I have never heard of this site, either, but you have given me a good overview of it! And it seems to be so close to a large city, and accessable!

ChrisND said...

Thank you for sharing your visit. Places such as these and their history are important treasures to protect.

Rose said...

Sherry, Do you know I live just a few hours from Cahokia Mounds, and I don't think I've ever visited it? Thank you for giving us this peek into another time and culture. My father often found arrowheads and even ax heads when he would plow the fields. We often talked about those who walked these lands long before we came. So glad that you are inspired by their traditions...I sense a pottery class in your future:)

Like you and Cheryl, I was so surprised to see a painted lady in my garden today, as cold as it was. An interesting coincidence...

Marvin said...

A very interesting Sunday Safari. Thanks for taking us along, Sherry.

BrainWorker said...

Thank you, Sherry, for visiting my photo blog.
I'd say, quite unusual blog you have.
:-)

Sergey

ShySongbird said...

A very unusual Sunday Safari and so interesting, what an impressive place to visit Sherry, very atmospheric.

I loved the head pots and of course the lovely butterflies...

Have a lovely week :)

dianasfaria.com said...

very interesting safari. I find it inspiring that you were able to connect to an ancient culture like you did. It is true how we are all more similar than disimilar, not sure if that's a word, but you know what I mean, I hope.

Chrissie said...

I really enjoyed your post, Sherry as I too love to visit and learn about the lives of our ancestors. So many different cultures from around the world have links, the beads, the bowls, all beautiful items they made and I wonder how they first came to discover that clay could be fired and stone carved. We have a lot to learn :-)

Wendy said...

I have goosebumps as I read this. I can feel you being taken back in time....those spirits communicating with you. I love to read about ancient cultures and listen to those who have gone before.

Thank you for sharing this visit with us. You are a gift.