Saturday, June 10, 2006

Summer Suppers Soon



I look each day to see what is in bloom.
What is starting to set fruit.

The Kumquot smells heavenly.

The zucchini and yellow squashes are in bloom.

Their blooms are tucked under the leaves.



This zucchini fruit will be ready to pick in a day or two.
These showy, white flowers are carrots.
They look like Queen Ann's Lace, which is a wild carrot.
I have never grown carrots seed to seed before.
These are carrots we grew last year and left in the ground as an experiment to see how the seed was formed.
They are lovely flowers, too. I have a few cut and in my kitchen with herbs for use as garnishes.

This is a leek.

We left it in the ground last fall to watch and see how it produces seed. Very pretty.

Each evening I have been picking peas to go on our Romaine lettuce salads. A Spring Supper for us. Some of the peas I will let go to seed for next year. Once it is in the 90 degrees the peas begin to wither. I hope to get at least another week of fresh peas. It has been warm and I am not sure how long the pea vines will hold up. Forcast is for rain and a cool down.

The tomatoes are in bloom too. Important time for them. They like the heat! The winter sowed tomatoes are just starting to set tiny fruits.

The peony poppies are in full bloom.

These are winter sowed this past year from seed I have saved. I am watching all the poppy seeds for ripening. The plants look a mess but I know to wait a few more days for seed. Come next week I can begin that harvest.

3 comments:

Q said...

The first picking is so fun for me.
I look forward to the beans and the tomatoes, the zuchinni. The potaoes can be dug whenever we are needing them.
Once in awhile I have a disappointment, seeds do not germinate or a critter enjoys the fruits.
Inviting you every morning into my garden is also fun. Thank you for joining me on my adventure.
I want to show and tell all! It is beautiful and yummy!

Seems as if every week I am looking for rain. Last night we had our inch! I will keep an eye on the pots on the deck but I do not need to water the beds as one inch will do them for the week.

The Lavender Harvest continues too. Each day I will do a basket full. Getting the stems drying so I have the dried blooms for use.

I try to grow what I need and try to use as much as possible. I always need flowers for the house.

Q said...

I bet your long stemmed roses are vey beautiful! Having flowers in the house pleases my eye. I like them everywhere! A flower for every spot!
I bet your mantle is happy!
Do you light your candles?
I like to have a tea light or a small oil lamp on all the time. When I light them I call them my blessing lights. I light a candle for my daughter and her mate, one for my son, and one for my husband every morning. Sometimes I light one for me! If a friend is facing a challanging time I light a candle. Part of getting ready to leave the house is putting out my flames.
I also do my flowers up for different people. I send forth my blessing and know they are completely supported.

Q said...

Hello Sprite!
Here we are tucked away in a secret garden! I bet your home and gardens are a haven of sweet healing and love. The globe must be magnificent! Nice for sending and receiving the light.
Oh yes, the soul of a plant is it's oil. It is necessary to know how to use the plants so that no harm comes to plant or to self! Herbs are very powerful and must be used in right ways or you can become very ill.
I also do not use chemicals. I try not to. I expect some slip in, yet I do try very hard to stay as natural as possible.