Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday the 13th

A Marine Blue

             was in the Sweet Marjoram.

They are a rare summer immigrant.
I made a wish when I saw her.
I had never seen a Marine Blue before.

The Eastern Tailed Blues
and the Gray Hairstreaks
 are common sights,
 now that the mint is in bloom.
I still make a wish when I see them.

Today is Friday the 13th.
A lucky day in my world view.

I have been reading about
superstitions.

I have been learning about

folk ways and good luck.

I do love the good spider
but not on buttered bread!


Another day of heat advisories.

Still we have had no rain.

I have told the bees
about our need for rain.

It was lucky I saw the Marine Blue.
A very sweet surprise.

I am wishing for rain.
I am wishing for a cool down.
We went out into the countryside last night
 so we could watch the Perseid meteor shower.
I made lots of wishes.
Happy Friday the 13th.
Make a wish on a shooting star.
Look for surprises in your summer garden.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Dear Sherry....the butterflies are beautiful. Rare or common each has a special place in the garden.
It is always special seeing a rare visitor for the first time....

My mother is terribly supersticious. I have tried very hard to rid myself of them.
They took over my life at times when I was a little girl. Strange times......

We have had heavy rain today and I am so pleased. The trees and large shrubs needed it.
I do hope you get cooler temperatures and rain soon. I understand the anxiety a dry garden causes.....

Have a wonderful weekend......

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I have never seen a Marine Blue either Sherry. You lucky duck. I will get out today to see if any are migrating through here. What fun on the 13th too.

Deb said...

Hello Sherry ...I always learn so much when I stop by to visit ~ your posts are wonderful ♥ Very, very hot here too, a cooling rain sounds good :-)
Happy 13th!

Judy said...

Sherry, that marine blue is so pretty! I wonder what her wing patterns would look like, done in embroidery?
When they say that eating a spider every morning is a good thing, maybe that just means that the day has to get better from there on out? It sure can't get any worse!

Wendy said...

I have always thought that Friday 13 is lucky. I read that is pagan folklore and just decided to adopt this belief. And my daughter has too (on her own).

You have such interesting reading material. I don't think I'd eat a spider between buttered bread either!

Lucky you to see a marine blue. I hope you get your wish.