Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Transition

The North wind blew cool air
into our gardens.
I wore long sleeves this morning
 when I went out to feed the birds.
The butterflies were basking

in the early morning sunshine.

The morning glories
stayed open a little bit longer
in the cooler morning air.


The Tigers were slow

to wake up this morning.

The Hummingbirds
perched up.

There are four coming to the feeder.

I will miss them when they leave.



The House Wrens raised four
little ones this summer.

The Cardinals are in their molt.

I check the Monarch chrysalis that hangs
under my potting table each morning.


I watched as this
 newly emerged Monarch dried her wings.

We have begun transition time.

The leaves of the Dogwood
are beginning to turn.


The Black Swallowtail caterpillars
are growing so fast.

I found an empty Black Swallowtail
chrysalis when I was weeding.


There is still time for butterflies

and marigolds.


There is still time for watching wasps
 in the Garden Rue



and Dragonflies near the ponds.

There is still time for bees.

We still have some summer days
but the leaves are starting to fall.
We are beginning transition.

11 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Sherry, you have out done yourself this time. I didn't think it was possible. These first few photos especially are moving.

However I can't believe you needed LONG sleeves. Geez. It is still warm here. No long sleeves needed. It did cool off some thankfully.

Deb said...

Such a gorgeous "transition" post. I agree with Lisa, you have outdone yourself with this post Sherry ♥

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh, that wren is an amazing pose! I love the big fat caterpillar, too...and all of your photos! Thanks for sharing and giving us a view of nature...up close! ♥

Cathy said...

Great photos, I was hoping to get out today and see what changes were taking place. But instead spent the day watching much needed rain fall and typing up poems. Might post them on Friday

Wendy said...

I've seen plenty of dragonflies these days, not so many butterflies or bees. Your pics are truly a feast for the eyes.
A wonderful post!

Cheryl said...

Dear Sherry.....I to wore long sleeves yesterday.
Your photographs brought tears to my eyes.....so many creatures showing themselves on your pretty flowers. I love autumn, my favourite season but it always makes my heart ache a little.
I found several dead bees in the gardens this morning. They had been caught in the torrential rain that we are having at the moment.
I lifted each one and put them in my glass bureau.

I have noticed other comments and I agree but to be truthful all your posts touch me in some way, they always have....tku for the journey my friend, always a pleasure to enter your world.

Jenni said...

Gorgeous photos! We put up a hummingbird feeder this year, and I've got quite a few of them around now. They're hard to spot and quickly gone. I'm amazed when people are actually able to capture them with a camera.

One minor correction: Your dragonfly is a damselfly. Dragonflies have wider bodies where damselflies are very narrow. Also, damselflies tend to rest with their wings up and dragonflies rest with them out. Both are so beautiful to watch!

Rose said...

So, so beautiful! Lisa is right, Sherry--you have outdone yourself with these beautiful photos. Your photos of the little Blue are amazing--they are so tiny that I have yet to get one photo of them that isn't blurry.

I haven't resorted to long sleeves yet, but am so enjoying the cooler temperatures. I do feel a hint of autumn in the air. One of the hummingbirds flew up to me yesterday as I sat on the porch swing--almost in my face. I was hoping he wasn't saying goodbye for the year:)

kkryno said...

So lovely!

We took the dogs for a walk yesterday at Birch Lake near the Palmer Hay Flats. It was so quiet and peaceful. There were four beaver working dilligently, with efficiancy and grace. They were so cute, but when they saw us they smacked the water with their tails to warn each other. Sounded almost like a gunshot. The biggest one just glared at us before slipping under the water to safety. We saw a dozen draggon flies and some ducks. It was great!

Have a good day, Sherry.

Love, Vikki.

Flat Creek Farm said...

Oh so pretty - each and every one!! And I do feel reassured that we have some more Summer days left to enjoy. I am looking forward to Fall, but will miss the hummingbirds and everything you have mentioned. Makes me sad! Thanks for sharing the beauty!! Enjoy this lovely weather. -Tammy

Barb said...

Such a variety of Butterflies and Birds, Q. They must feel welcome in your yard.