Sunday, November 06, 2011

Sunday Safari

When the sun came out this afternoon
I went butterfly hunting.

The mums are in their third bloom.


The marigolds look so lovely.

I gathered seed from the Morning Glories.

I picked the last of the squash.

It is November.

The birds are keeping me company

when I sit outside with my coffee and books.

The colors of November are lush.
We still have some green leaves.

We have not had a hard freeze.
Soon I am sure we will.

We still have some grass growing.

The bittersweet is open.
I have harvested and have long sprays in the house.

These Indian Summer days
are treasures.
We bought chestnuts at the organic market.


I roasted some this afternoon.

They are delicious!


I am learning about the Chestnut Tree
this week.


I am studying nut trees
in November.

Happy Sunday Safari.
Happy November.

9 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I still see some pretty color in your trees! I wonder how many Indian summer days are left this Fall! Beautiful photos...I always enjoy your Sunday safaris! ♥

Judy said...

Sherry, I am amazed that there are still insects flying about! We have had a number of hard frosts, but I saw something small fly past as I was on my way home yesterday...
Your photos are divine, as ever!

Wendy said...

I think I'm coming to live with you! You still have butterflies, bees and flowers - wow!

Autumn trees are especially colourful. Your bird pics are sweet.
Happy Sunday Safari

Randy Emmitt said...

Sherry,

Love the photos! The White M Hairstreak photo on the mums could be a state late record there. Here in NC our late date on White M is October 26th. Not sure who you would contact about your record.

sweetbay said...

Your photos are so lovely. Surprisingly I think you are where we are weatherwise -- still some green summer grass and many insects around.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I love the picture of the male cardinal. All of the colorful foliage around him reminds me of a painters palette. Happy November.

Barb said...

It's fun to visit your colorful world where birds and bees and butterflies are still visiting. I saw chestnuts today at market - I've never roasted them. Do they split when they get hot?

Rose said...

I love all your bird photos, Sherry; the cardinals are always my favorites. We have had some hard freezes, so most of my blooms and all the butterflies are long gone. But I did get to visit the Butterfly Pavilion at the Botanic Gardens in Phoenix while I was there. It was filled with Monarchs, but I was told they were ones that live there all the time, not migratory ones. I was hoping a few of "mine" had flown south ahead of me to spend the winter there:)

Send me an email sometime with your address, and I'll get those cosmos seed in the mail to you. My email is on my profile page.

Deb said...

Beautiful November images ♥
I love roasted chestnuts too ~ they are a once a year treat for us (at Christmas)which makes them all the more special :-)
Hope you are having a wonderful Sunday.