Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sunday Safari

It is cloudy and cold today.
I am grateful for my warm house.



Many families are gathering this week
to celebrate Thanksgiving.


Our children live far away.
Too far to travel this year.
I miss them.


It is a good sort of missing.
I am grateful they have found their way.
They have loved ones nearby to share their day with,
no worries.

We have many stories of Thanksgivings.
We have blessed memories.

Like the Native Americans
our family stories are oral traditions.
We laugh when we retell our stories.
We remember the taste of Granny's pies.
I have her rolling pin. It is part of my November.


My friend and I went to an art show yesterday.
I bought a small sculpted and felted Acorn Fairy.
He is part of my November now.
He is part of my story.


I believe in magic.

The Christmas Cactus is blooming.
After Thanksgiving I will pack up the November things.
I will decorate the house for Christmas.
My husband called out, "Geese, geese, geese."
I ran out to the backyard.
Up so high I could barely see them were the Snow Geese.
Line after line of Snow Geese migrating south.
Oh joy! Oh joy! Oh joy!
We listened and could just barely hear them.
These are the first flocks we have seen this year.



The Swans and Pelicans may also have begun migrating.
I shall be looking for them. I worry for the Swans.
 I worry they have lost more habitat.
I would love to spend Thanksgiving with them.


May you and yours have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Happy Sunday Safari.

11 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a beautiful post! We won't get to visit with family over the holidays and it sure makes me sad if I think about it too long! I bought a Christmas cactus today...hope mine does good! ♥

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Sherry. A lovely post. We will be having a few family members here for Thanksgiving. My Son lives too far away to be able to come together with us. Maybe some day. I like the thought you had of having the memories of Thanksgivings past. This makes all this work worth the effort. Sometimes memories are best. Big Hugs.

Tumblewords: said...

A wonderful post! My family will be split this year, too. Wishing you a memorable Thanksgiving.

Angie said...

So beautiful, Sherry! I would love to see the Snow Geese. And oh the Swans; they are such beautiful creatures. We will not be with family this year either, but we will share a meal at a neighbor's house---new memories to add to the scores of other Thanksgiving memories. All is well. May all of the blessings and bounty of both Heaven and the Earth attend you and yours. Blessed Be and
Hugs, my dear dear friend

Anonymous said...

"Life is huge!
Rejoice about the sun, moon, flowers, and sky.
Rejoice about the food you have to eat.
Rejoice about the body that houses your spirit.
Rejoice about the fact that you can be a positive force in the world around you.
Rejoice about the love that is around you.
If you want to be happy,
commit to making your life one of rejoicing."
- Author Unknown

Happy Thanksgiving to you Sherry and your family.
Gisela
We celebrated our Canadian Thanksgiving October 10, 2011.

Wendy said...

It's cold here too today. And we got our first snowfall!

Your swans are pretty and how exciting to see geese - so many of them way up high!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. I'm moving this Friday.

sweetbay said...

It sounds like you will be reliving some wonderful memories this holiday. Your loved ones will all be there in spirit. Happy Thanksgiving!

Barb said...

I'm thankful for your beautiful photos and message this Thanksgiving Day, Sherry. I wanted to stop by and wish you a happy holiday weekend. I'll be spending part of my time with family. I think both you and I are blessed.

David said...

Hi Sherry and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
I hear geese today for the first time. It was a wonderful moment. Perhaps they were they same geese you heard ealier this week.
Cool thought.
David/ :-)

Rose said...

Dear Sherry, I love the family stories, too; memories of our lost loved ones and good times in the past live on in these stories.

I was fortunate to have both my parents here yesterday for dinner, and my youngest daughter was with us for the first time in three years. But older Daughter and husband could not come from Arizona; it's been a long time since I've had all my children together for a holiday. It makes the times I get to be with any of them extra special.

I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving--love the image of the snow geese flying south!

Judy said...

I love that white Christmas cactus!! And the capture of the swan is wonderful!!