Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Spicebush Swallowtail

Spicebush Swallowtail

I have yet to find Spice bushes for her to lay her eggs on.
I can order some for next year.

The purple Burgamot is a nectar source for so many of the Swallowtails.
I have planted Blazing Stars , Joe-Pye Weed and Zinnias in my native garden.
All are magnets for the Swallowtails.
The Gardener's Butterfly Book by Alan Branhagen has been a wonderful book for me.
Not only are the photographs large and easy to identify from but he gives the host plants and the favorite nectar plants of each species. The range maps help too.
I am very pleased to see Spicebush Swallowtail.

2 comments:

Sprite said...

*****

Sherry,

Oh my! Would you look at that beautiful green on her, it is stunning. I will look forward to more photographs of Miss Spicebush Swallowtail.

She is extraordinary.

Thank you for sharing her with us.

Love,

*sprite

Q said...

Dear Sprite,
the sage green wash onthis butterfly is incredible!
I hope to plant an undergrowth of spice bushes by the pines next year. I have ordered 20 plants so that should give Miss Spicebush and her friends plenty of space to lay eggs.
I would love to have a colony!
Sherry