Friday, October 06, 2006

Butterfly Convention

I am watering the back flowerbeds this afternoon. When I went to move the water I saw a Buckeye in the white roses. No camera! When I came back Buckeye was gone and little Gray Hairstreak had come! I went to the east side to see if Buckeye was over there and I saw a Butterfly Convention. There were 50 plus butterflies of all sorts of varieties in the zinnias! I gasped.
This is a West Coast Lady. Smaller than her cousin, Painted Lady.
As I snapped photos I saw a Hummingbird Moth! Oh my! Oh my! Oh my! Right here in the gardens!
I needed to come in and charge the battery for the camera. I took 400 photos!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear "Q",

A Hummiingbird Moth in your beautiful garden, couldn't find a more wonderful place to visit, or to be lovingly observed.

Thanks so much for sharing the wonderment of Oct.

Me

Q said...

Dear Me,

So happy you came by. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I was so very excited to see the White Lined Sphinx! There are other Hummingbird Moths and I am sending out an invitation to all of them to come by for a visit.
If all goes well next year and the Butterfly Bush makes it through the winter I might have more food they like.
Also I am planning on planting lots more zinnias!

You are so very welcome! October is a magical month and I am in total delight.

"BOO"
~Q~