Saturday, October 14, 2006

Pumpkin Care

Last night I was talking with my Aunt. I told her about the frost and how the growing season was over for me. We talked about green tomatoes. She told me how she ripened hers. I thought I would try her method. She washes her green tomatoes in bleach water, 1 tablespoon of liquid bleach to 1 gallon of water. She rinses them in clear water and dries them. She places the green tomatoes with a washed and rinsed apple in a glass jar with a loose fitting lid. Placed in indirect light the tomatoes begin to ripen in two to three days. She opens the lid of the jar every so often to allow fresh air in. Amazing! If this works I will harvest more green tomatoes next year. As it is I only picked twenty. Mine were not perfect so we will see.
While getting our field pumpkins an older woman told me how she washes her pumpkins with bleach water. She said it keeps them from rotting.
Since I had the water already in my bucket I washed all the pumpkins. I rinsed them and dried them.
The wash brought out the colors and the shine. We will see how long they last.
They do look pretty now.

1 comment:

Q said...

Dear Sprite,
I find I am checking the tomatoes often! It would be wonderful if they do ripen. My Aunt is coming to see me next week and I would enjoy sharing a ripe tomato with her!
I shared the recipe with my sister. She also has green tomatoes to pick. I have never tried "fried green tomatoes". I did enjoy the movie!
You delight me so very much.
Happy we are friends.
~Q~