Sunday, May 20, 2007

Debating

I lost many rose bushes this spring.
I am debating if I will replace them.
I use roses for syrups and scent.
I dry the rose hips for winter teas.
Perhaps the ones that have survived will be enough.
I am leaving many of the "volunteer" plants that are growing in the flower beds.
Any flowers are welcome food.
Hover Flies are tiny and glitter in the sunlight.


The orange Asiatic Lilies are open.
The gardens are very different this year.
The plants are producing fewer blooms and the blooms are smaller.
I am cleaning beds and planting seeds.

4 comments:

Deb said...

The Asiatic Lilies are stunning -

Sheila said...

I find it very difficult to grow roses here, and I wish I could.

The wings on the insect are so pretty.

Q said...

Dear Deb,
I have so few flowers! The Asiatics are doing okay. They are smaller than last year.
I do like them, a bit of bright color. I have a few different ones too so that's nice. I do not think they are very good butterfly food!
Sherry

Q said...

Dear Sheila,
Since I am an all natural sort of gardener my roses get egg shells and coffee grinds for food. The bushes I lost are rather sad to me, old bushes. I used to have a nice miniature rose garden but I think I will do something different now. On the upside, the climbing rose bush is doing great. I think I will do a few more of these.
The Hover Flies are very, very tiny and in the sunlight they add glitter to the flowers. Very magical!
Sherry