Sunday, January 07, 2007

Birds of the Month

Each month we study different birds. I learn about their nesting habits and their environment. I listen to their songs. Some are birds that visit the gardens.
The Woodpeckers belong to the Picidae Family. There are over 200 different species of woodpeckers in the world. Only nine are in my zone, three types are regular visitors to my gardens. Last week when the Yellow Shafted Flickers came I was very excited! About a mile from our house we have seen Red Headed Woodpeckers. I do hope they find their way to my suet and peanuts.
I see the Red Bellied more often this year then in the past. I am still very excited whenever I do.
This male Red Bellied is about 10 1/2 inches long.
I know there is a pair near by as I have taken photos of the female.
I shall print photos of the different Woodpeckers that I have taken and frame them for my stairwell. Once again I need frames.

No comments: