Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Any day now

Any time now we could have have our first frost.

I went to the vegetable garden and
picked a few ripe tomatoes.
I saw lots of green ones, I will wait on them.
I will keep an eye on the forecast.


I sat down in the zinnias to harvest some seed.
The Black Swallowtail flew in.

I had not seen a Swallowtail for two weeks.
She is very faded, almost translucent.


The Monarchs, Painted Ladies, Skippers, Red Admirals, Cabbage Whites, Fritillaries, Buckeyes and the Black Swallowtail kept me company this afternoon while I gathered hope.

Butterflies! Every minute with them I treasure.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Stay with them, Sherry. "Any day now". I think you are well prepared.

Q said...

Dear Mary,
I have lots of inside Winter projects to do! I think I will be just fine...
Last year on warm Winter days some butterflies came out for quick drinks. It is always fun to see them.
Plus the Winter birds need their photos taken!
Sherry

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

I will miss the butterflies! said with a very sad face. xo nita

Q said...

Dear Nita,
In a way it is very nice to miss the butterflies! Knowing they are leaving for the Winter gives Autumn a poignancy that is different from any other time of year. The sweetness and the sadness is temporary too, the butterflies will return. I think feeling the poignancy of Autumn helps with other aspects of life.
I fall in love with every season and the season changes. I fall in love with every season of my life and those too change. The memories of youth, of times and people are sometimes very poigant. Very sweet and very sad. I understand the feelings of poignancy. I feel them every Autumn. Going through these feelings reminds me I am not my feelings. I like having them. I know what ever the feeling is, it will pass. I grab the joy and the sorrow as they come.
Sherry