Sunday, July 16, 2006

It's So Hot You could...


Another hot day. Another day of checking the water for the birds, bugs and creatures. I moved some of the potted plants to shadier locations. I did my outside chores early in the morning. The dipper gourd leaves are huge! Nice shadey spots for bunnies and birds.

I picked a few yellow squash for our mid-day meal.

The sunflowers are loving the heat. Watching for tomatoes and peppers to ripen.

By 9am I was inside and cooling off with my water.

It is time for breakfast. I did not want to add any heat to the house so I fixed protein Smoothies.



I have a very basic recipe for our smoothies. A friend shared her recipe with me and I have adjusted to our household.

Q's Basic Smoothie

one frozen banana
6oz extra firm tofu
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons coco
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup powdered protein
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups soy milk.
ice
I blend it all together.

There are so many variations. I will use fresh fruit instead of the coco, herb syrup instead of honey, green tea or Kali tea instead of soy milk, almond oil instead of olive oil. If I am out of frozen bananas I will use any sort of frozen fruit. I have added cinnamon and nutmeg for a spice drink. I adjust the sweetener. If I am using stevia than I do not need very much, one teaspoon is plenty, as it is very sweet.

It makes a full blender. Enough for my husband and I to each have two full glasses. Satisfying too. I clean up the blender bowl by hand. Fast and ready for the next time.
Delicious and nutritious. Easy to fix, morning protein.

When it is so hot I stay inside during the heat of the day. Come sunset I am outside again. Last night we put the top down on the convertible and took an evening cruise. We stopped at the Plaza and walked a bit. At Classic Cup we found a sidewalk table and ordered appetizers and salads. We walked about the Plaza. At the book store we stopped for a couple of books and some music.

Summer Reading and Study:

"Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan

We both enjoyed Pollan's last book, "Bontany of Desire". This new one looks as interesting. I am always thinking about breakfast, lunch and dinner.


"Wall Chart of Human Anatomy"

This will be easier for me to learn the body parts than Grey's Anatomy. The charts of the different body systems are so informative. It will take me awhile to know all of the information on these charts. I shall get a book stand and begin my study. I do want to know as much about my body as I am able to know.

"The Naming of Names" by Anna Pavord

My daughter sent this delightful and beautifully illustrated book. It is the journey of how plants were named. I treasure each word in this incredible book. Amazing story.

'The Bedside Book of Birds" by Grame Gibson

Another gift from my lovely daughter. This is a grand adventure in story and poem of the history of the relationship of birds and man. The illustrations alone in this volume are inspiring.

I did some shopping on line and ordered;

"Nature Speak: Signs, Omens and Messages in Nature" by Ted Andrews

"Animal Speak: the Spiritual and Magical Powers of Creatures Great and Small" by Ted Andrews

Both of these books should be very interesting.

We also found some new music last night.

Yo-Yo Ma "Paris La Belle E'poque"

Yo-Yo Ma "Japanese Melodies"

Bobby Darin "The Legendary Bobby Darin"

Edgar Meyer "Edger Meyer"

Jean-Pierre Rampal and Shigenori Kudo "Concertos For Two Flutes

We have been watching dvds too.

Darling daughter sent my husband "The Harold LLoyd Comedy Collection.

These seven discs are fun and the music is extraordinary. We laugh and are entertained by the silent picture show.

Summertime and the living is relaxing.

On Sunday nights we listen to "Hearts of Space" on the radio. We support Public Radio KCUR fm 89.3. We usually continue listening the rest of the evening as the next program "Night Tides" is also beautiful New Age music.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»