Friday, October 27, 2006

Apple Brown Betty

The skies are grey. Another inch of rain fell over night. The birds have been quiet all morning. The Northwest wind kept even the doves from the feeder.
Instead of butterflies floating in the air I have lovely leaves.
Our friends are coming over this evening for a visit. I am not 100% well so instead of dinner we are having dessert together. I am up to fixing Apple Brown Betty.
I have been looking forward to baking this for our friends all month.
Apple Brown Betty is an old Colonial dish.

Apple Brown Betty
6 apples cored and thinly sliced
3/4 cup apple cider
1/2 cup raisins
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup and 3 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
1/3 cup quick cooking oats
3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons melted butter

In a large bowl combine apples, cider, raisins, cinnamon and 3 tablespoons flour. Mix together. Spoon into an 11x7 inch baking dish. I prepare my dish with nonstick olive oil spray.

In a medium sized bowl combine oats, brown sugar, butter and 1/3 cup flour. Mix together until crumbly. Sprinkle over apple mixture.

Bake in 375 degree oven for one hour, or until bubbly and golden brown.
Serve warm.

I have pumpkin ice cream to go with.

No comments: